Monday, February 27, 2012

Newest oldest shortest man


Chandra Bahadur Dangi from Nepal was officially recognized yesterday as the world's new Shortest Living Man. "I'm very happy that I'm being recognized by Guinness World Records and that my name will be written in book. It's a big thing for my family, my village and my country. I am very happy," said the weaver during the ceremony in Kathmandu (photos above, more here and here). Chandra has spent his entire life in Rhimkholi, 250 miles west of the capital (which he had never before visited). He grew up with 5 brothers and 2 sisters of average height, was often treated like a toy and gave up looking for a wife, and now lives with his nephew and family. The new record-holder was brought to the world's attention by a contractor cutting timber in the remote mountain village. Chandra hopes that the exposure he receives as a result of his new record will lead to medical advice and support, since he has never seen a doctor for his undiagnosed condition. But his intentions are also generous, with plans to start a charity that will benefit his village. "I will use this to make my country proud." At 21.5" (54.6cm), the septagenarian has unseated teenager Junrey Balawing of the Philippines at 23.5" (59.99cm), who took the title away from 18-year-old Khagendra Thapa Magar of Nepal at 26.4" (67.08cm), who was named after measuring shorter than 24-year-old Edward Nino Hernandez of Columbia at 27.46" (70.21cm), who succeeded He Pingping of China at 29" (74cm) upon his death in 2010 at the age of 21. Craig Glenday, editor-in-chief of Guinness World Records, is astonished: "I'm continually amazed that this record keeps getting broken. Just when you think it's impossible for the record to get any smaller, Mr Chandra comes along and astonishes us all by being the shortest person ever measured. What I find equally remarkable is his age - if he really is 72, he is by far the oldest person to be awarded the shortest-man record in Guinness World Record's 57-year history."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels